Friday, November 10, 2006

Donald Duke came to the paper yesterday. As he spoke I was just ticking off the cliches. "Nigeria is like a car", check. "Leadership is about who you surround youself with", check. "If not now, when?" check. "Things should be done on merit", check. "Record of delivery", check. "Tested leadership", check. "Taking nigeria into the 21st century", check.
He didn't strike me as being very passionate. He talked a bit about horse trading, and about politics being a dance that everyone did. I think he's going to accept a position in government, maybe VP, but he didn't seem to have the polish or the fire for the campaign.
His entourage was massive, I thought. Aziz said it was small, but I counted about 20 individuals. I wonder what they all do? "Hangers on, aides of aides" Aziz said.
The advert goes "Just what is it about Donald Duke?" accompanied by a piture that makes him look exactly like Katanga from Live and Let Die.
"What is it about Donald Duke?" I asked Anas
"Tinapa!" Anas replied.
DD said: "In Cross Rivers we don't have any oil, but we are aware there are people in the area who have money and need a place to get away and spend it. That's why we've concentrated on Tourism."
Tinapa is Africa's largest tax free shopping resort, or will be. The company has spent a fortune on sponsoring the football on SABC. When I got to Nigeria the advert said "Tinapa, coming in September 2006". Before that I'm told it was "coming April 2006". Since then, it became "coming in 2006," and then "coming in 2007" and now "coming soon".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home