Thursday, January 04, 2007

Arrived back in Abuja to find a suitcase and my DVD player that I’d put in store in the apartment are “missing”. Had to go to work so couldn’t hear any explanation. Blank looks all around when I asked where they were.*
Also, I got back to my computer to find the folder with an archive of all the copy I had worked on has been deleted. I think I have most of it backed up, but not sure. Someone said I should have password protected the computer, but then how would they have used it while I was away?
Last time I came back from London three months ago, someone had torn down and thrown away the map of Abuja I taped to the wall. Management decreed that nothing should be taped to the wall, as there was a notice board. But they gave that order to a middle ranking manager, who in turn gave the order to tear everything down to an illiterate office assistant. What use could a map in a newsroom be?
It was great to see everyone though, a hand slapping welcome, as always.

*The suitcase and DVD player turned up later, under a whole load of other luggage...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home